The Ath Checkpoint is an HIV prevention center, offering services of counseling and rapid testing for HIV.
At the Ath Checkpoint you can take a free and anonymous saliva test for HIV. You can also get answers to your questions and information within 45 minutes. You can book an appointment by phone or by visiting our premises. Each appointment lasts about 45 minutes and consists of 15′ for pre-test counseling, 15′ for testing and 15′ for post-test counseling. In case HIV antibodies are detected, additional time is offered, in order for you to get all the information and directions you need. Rapid testing is the quickest way of testing without a blood sample, with a 0,1% possibility of a false result. In case HIV antibodies are detected, you will have to take a confirmatory test (Western Blot) in an HIV Infection Unit. We can schedule this appointment and also accompany you in case you feel you cannot go by yourself.
Counseling includes the announcement of the test result, providing information about HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and psychological support when needed. Counseling does not focus on “how you should do it” but on “how to do it better”. We will not give you unnecessary information. We will carefully listen to you and provide you with the information you need.
Counseling aims to:
• Strengthen your decision to get tested for HIV, now and in the future.
• Help you cope with your emotions.
• Explain to you what the “window period” means.
• Inform you about PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis) and under what circumstances it is provided.
• Determine what we mean when we talk about risky sexual behaviours.
• Discuss extensively what means not to use condoms in a permanent relationship.
• Discuss about false trust issues in your sexual partners and some sexual practices.
• Contribute to improving the way of announcing the result of the test.
• Make regular testing a pleasant habit for you.